Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Couponing: Start Small

In the past few weeks, I've had several people ask me about couponing and how I manage to keep our grocery budget so small.  Every time, I was then told it took too much effort and there was no way they could get their bill so low.  With each person, I had to remind them to start small.  Over the next few weeks, I'm going to share some beginning couponing tips and tricks that I have learned over the years.  If there are any questions you have, feel free to leave a comment or email me and I will work them into the series.

Today I simply want to remind you to start small.  Do not expect to save 70% your first trip and do not try to hit 5 stores your first time out.  If you currently do not use any coupons, aim for saving 10% off your next grocery trip.  Once you start feeling more comfortable, try for 15-20%.  My current average is 40-50% at the grocery store with the occasional 70-80%.   Drugstores tend to be a bit higher in savings but that is because I usually only go there to get the deals and nothing else.

Stay tuned as my next entry will be about the number of stores I shop at.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Thanks Julie. I'll follow along!
-Alicia G.

Rebekah Williams said...

I definitely need direction in this area. I'll be watching.

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster