Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Epsom Salt

 
In the process of changing our eating habits this past year, one theme kept coming up in all of my searches and in my daily life.  When something pops up several times in life, my radar goes up and tells me I should research it a bit more.

The theme I'm talking about is detoxing our body.  I'm no expert in this area but I wanted to let my readers know a little about what I've learned in the past year.

Our body is filled with many, many toxins that we come in contact with on a daily basis.  These come from cleaning supplies, food, etc.  We can reduce our contact with these toxins through natural cleaning products and food but unless you never leave your house, you will still come in contact with toxins through every day living.

I first heard of this concept through a direct marketing company.  Then, it came up in an internet search.  The third time I heard it was actually on a cruise my husband and I took this summer.  Their fitness center put on a lecture about losing weight the natural way.  The trainer said when he was working in a fitness center he had many, many clients who would get within 10-15 pounds of their goal and no matter what they did, they could not lose more weight.

His mom is a doctor so the two of them started talking about this and doing some research, which led them to detoxing.  When he started working with his clients on this area, they easily lost those last few pounds.  He said one area we hold a lot of toxins is wherever we have cellulite.

Of course, they tried to sell us a very expensive detoxing supplement, but I'm too frugal to buy anything like that without a ton of research.

I came home and started researching cheaper alternatives.  It turns out Epsom Salt is one of the best ways to detox and it is cheap.  Use about 2-3 handfuls in a tub of hot water, and soak for 20-30 minutes.  To speed up the process, get a brush and brush your body before soaking.  Start at the feet and work your way towards your middle, then do your arms and work back down towards your middle.  This gets the circulation going in your body.  Soaking 2-3 times a week is all it takes.

I started doing this immediately and noticed a little difference after a few weeks.  Then, I went to see a massage therapist/natural healer for help with my foot.  He immediately asked if I was using epsom salts for my foot because it is such a great way to reduce swelling and get rid of the "junk" in our body.  He was pretty impressed that I was already doing it but suggested I up the amount of salt in the water simply because my body wasn't responding enough.

He also said when soaking, drink water to keep from getting dehydrated.  Then, once out of the tub continue drinking a lot of water to rid the body of the toxins.  Yes, you will go to the bathroom a lot, but this and sweat, are your body's way of getting rid of the toxins. 

I realized some of you might not be in to detoxing, but at the very least, getting to soak in a warm tub 2-3 times a week is a great way to relax.  I thanked my massage therapist for telling me I had to take a time out from life several times a week and spend time relaxing in a hot bath.

Disclaimer:  Affilate links are used in this posting, see my disclaimer tab for more details. 

0 comments:

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster