Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Garden Update

I think I might get to plant my veggie garden this weekend! I spent this afternoon digging up a few more rocks (I'm sure I'm a sight for the neighbors being 6 months pregnant and digging up rocks). The weather is finally stabilizing so that I think the plants will be safe. As a reminder, if you started seeds, they need time to harden outside before planting them in the ground. This means sitting them outside each day for a week or two so they can get used to the difference in tempurature from inside the house to outside. Everything I've read says to start in a shaded place outside and bring them back in at night. Work towards getting them towards the sunlight and out for longer periods of time. I've been doing this for a few days now and they are so far looking great.

My plan is to only work on the veggie garden this weekend. I will start working on flowers next week but I can only work for a few minutes at a time due to being pregnant and having sciatica issues. I would love to spend hours and hours digging in the dirt but that will have to wait for another year. I'm just happy I've been able to accomplish what I have so far this year.

How is your garden coming along?

1 comments:

The Kallenberger 5 said...

we are doing a lasange garden so no digging is necessary. you basically build your garden up from what is already there, over your grass. Layers of newspaper, mulch, dirt, etc. If you don't know anything about it you can check it out at http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm
I am excited to see how it works.

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster