Thursday, April 9, 2009

Seeds Into Plants

I mentioned several weeks ago that I was going to attempt growing veggies from seeds this year. My past attempts have not been good but I decided to give it another try after several years off. I'm happy to say, the majority of my seeds sprouted and are doing great. I'm getting very antsy to get them into the ground but the weather is not cooperating. According to all of the zone charts, I can start planting next week in my area. The only problem is we've had 3 freeze warnings this week so I'm thinking we are not in the clear yet.

It was a beautiful day yesterday so I spent some more time prepping the garden (aka digging up rocks). I live in a very rocky area and no matter how many times I've planted in this area, I still dig up huge rocks every year. Being almost 6 months pregnant, I can only work a little bit at a time but it is starting to come along.

This brings me to a tip my father in law gave me when we first moved to our house. We moved in the early fall and he told me to figure out where I wanted my veggie garden and then every time I went to the hardware store to pick up one bag of dirt. He said if I put down a bag each time, by the time planting season came around, I would have a great area to garden in. I've done this with one garden and it is very helpful. Unfortunately, when I decided to slightly expand my veggie garden, I completely forgot about this tip. It may be too late to get a great garden this way this year but it could give you a good start and it is something to think about for next year.

After the success so far of my veggies, I decided to start some flower seeds two weeks ago. My zinnias are doing fabulous and I moved them to larger containers yesterday. My impatiens are just starting to sprout and I'm anxious to see how they do. My front flower bed is 80% impatiens because the area is mostly shade and these flowers do wonderful in the area. If I can get even a few viable plants out of these seeds, I feel I am ahead.

Happy Gardening!

0 comments:

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster