Friday, April 10, 2009

Hosting a Garage Sale: Part 1

Garage sale season has already started in some parts of the country and for others, it is just around the corner. Garage sales are a great way to clean the clutter from your house and make some quick cash at the same time. This series is going to break down how to hold a successful garage sale into manageable steps. We have a sale every year or two and I constantly hear that it is too much work for the money but hopefully this series will help you see otherwise. I'm not saying having a sale is for everyone, but it can be easier with a little planning. Today's focus is on cleaning up the clutter.

First, designate a place in your house to hold garage sale items. I keep a bag in my bathroom closet for garage sale items. Once it is full, it gets moved to a shelf in the garage. Keeping it in a handy space allows me to get rid of items as I come across them instead of waiting and forgetting about them.

Next, set a date for the sale. If you are like me, you will say you are having a sale but never actually get around to it. I find if I set a date, it is much more likely to happen. We put a date in May on our calendar months ago and it has really helped me prepare for the upcoming sale.

Then, start cleaning up the clutter a little at a time. Earlier, I talked about simplifying by reducing clutter and this is the same concept. We've been going through every single room in our house in order to rearrange it for a new baby. You do not have to go to such extremes, but find a problem area or two and tackle them. You might just be motivated enough to keep going. When the clutter is gone, you will feel better, be more organized, and have some great items for an upcoming garage sale. Feel free to put anything and everything into your garage sale pile as you will be amazed at what will sell. Usually what I think is junk sells right away and I'm always surprised.

Your challenge this week is to tackle one area in your house (it doesn't even need to be a whole room) and start cleaning it out in preparation for an upcoming garage sale.

Stay tuned as I continue this series with topics such as setting up the sale, advertising, etc. If there is a particular area you would like me to cover, feel free to leave a comment or send an email. As a final note, check out this newly redesigned site all about garage sales. You will find some great features including a listing of garage sales in your area. I will also be guest posting on their blog in the near future so check back often.

0 comments:

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster