Friday, October 10, 2008

Food Friday: Black Bean Burritos

One simple way to save money on groceries is to eat vegetarian meals. Meat can be expensive but there are some great non-meat meals out there. Today I am featuring one of the few vegetarian meals my meat loving husband will actually eat. These are easy to make and taste just as yummy as leftovers.

Black Bean Burritos

1 large onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 Tbsp chicken broth
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups picante sauce (I use salsa)
12 flour tortillas (fat free or reduced fat work fine)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (reduced fat is fine)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (reduced fat is fine)
3 cups shredded lettuce
6 Tbsp fat free sour cream

In a non-stick skillet, cook and stir onion and green pepper in broth for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Mash one can of black beans. Add to the skillet with 3/4 cup of picante sauce and remaining beans; heat through. Spoon 1/4 cup mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place, seam side down, in a 13"x9"x2'' baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Combine tomatoes and remaining picante sauce; spoon over enchiladas. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese has melted. To serve, place 1/2 cup lettuce on each plate and top with 2 enchiladas. Garnish each serving with one tablespoon sour cream.

For those on Weight Watchers, these are 3 points per burrito. I calculated that many years ago so feel free double check this.

My husband seriously dislikes tomatoes so I sometimes leave them out on simply only put them on side of the dish. This is an easy dish to adjust to your likes and dislikes.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are awesome! A great recipe, I am vegetarian and looking for new stuff, this totally got me out of a bind for tonight's dinner! Great blog, I love it here, so much that I tagged you for a meme over on my blog!

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster