Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Kitchen Magnets


I'm feeling crafty this week and with all of the Christmas talk from yesterday so I thought I would show you how to make cool kitchen magnets. I started with clear glass gems that I found at Hobby Lobby in the floral department. There were approximately 70 for $4.00 (sometimes they are half price). I've also seen them in smaller quantities at the dollar store. I used the larger size but they do make a smaller gem. I prefer the larger because they are less of a chocking hazard.

Then, I gathered leftover scrapbook paper and old magazines. Trace the glass gem on the paper or magazine and cut it out. You will probably have to trim it once you cut it but it does not have to be perfect.

Put glue on top of the image and glue to the flat side of the gem. I used Elmer's school glue and it holds up just fine. I have heard others mention silicone glue but since Elmer's works for me, that is what I used. The glue will dry clear. Make sure the edges of your image are glued down well.

Finally, add a magnet. I've found the rolls of magnets are not strong enough, so I used button magents. Michael's sells 50 for $5.99 but they are not self adhesive. I found the self adhesive ones at Walmart and they were around $2 for 18. I prefer one less step of messy glue so I went with the ones from Walmart. This pictures shows the backside of the magnet.



To package these for gifts, Altoid tins make a great holder. The top can be covered in scrapbook paper. Most craft stores also sell little decorative tins for a buck or two. We made these as a craft at MOPS a few weeks ago and the ladies loved them. They look expensive but they are really pennies to make.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made these a few years ago, and everyone loved them. They really do come out beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea! Thanks

christie said...

I love these! I am putting them on my "to make" list!

Julie said...

Thanks for the great comments girls!

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

So Cute!! I want to make some for my Christmas gifts!!

HDMac said...

Those are cute. I have been going to make some of these for a long time and just haven't done it yet! Need to get on the ball here!

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster