Thursday, September 18, 2008

Christmas Organization

Modern Mommyhood is hosting the 12 Weeks of Christmas carnival every Monday, starting October 6. Check out the link on the right hand side of this blog each week to see what others are doing to prepare for Christmas.


I know it seems early, but this is the best time to start thinking about the holidays. Life isn't near as busy and you have time, so get started now in order to enjoy the holidays this year. The easiest way is to break down the tasks. Here are a few of the tasks I plan to do before the holidays:


Make a gift list: I make a list of everyone I want to give a gift to and then brainstorm ideas for them. This is simply a jumping point for gifts but it helps to brainstorm before jumping right in. Remember, not everyone you know needs a gift.


Surf the internet for ideas: Surf for fun crafts and yummy food in order to plan what you will make and what you will buy.



Begin making homemade items: If you are making crafts, start making things now - it is much more likely to actually be done by Christmas if you start now. If baking, make a plan of attack. I'm known for my pumpkin bread and I get a ton of requests around the holidays. I usually start in Oct. with making a few loaves when I have time. By the time Dec. comes around, my freezer is full of bread and I don't have to worry about finding time to cook. Cookies and a few other sweets freeze well too.



Schedule: If there are traditions you do every year such as baking day, Christmas parties, etc, start scheduling them in the next month or so. This way you ensure actually getting to the tradition instead of waiting until the last minute when everyone is already busy.



Pick a place to store everything: I have a place in one of my closets where I store all gifts. It makes it easy to find everything when it comes time to wrap. I also plan on creating a place in my garage pantry to store non-perishable food items I buy ahead for Christmas lunch. It is much cheaper to buy when things are on sale and a little at a time than to wait until you actually need it.



Do you feel overwhelmed now? Don't let it get to you. Sit down with a nice cup of coffee and make your plan of attack, then start working it one item at a time. Before you know it, Thanksgiving will be here and you will be able to sit back and enjoy the holidays.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much! I just love Christmas and can't wait to see everyone's ideas!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it's never too early to start planning :) Great tips!

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster