Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Waste Less Wednesday: Crayons

Crayons are taking over my house and it seems like they break in two seconds flat. I hate to throw away a new crayon though so I turned them into crayon cupcakes. Our son thought they were a blast and I was able to reuse something that most people would trash. My mom used to make these for me when I was little and I loved using them.



To make these, peel all of the wrappers off the crayons. This is a great project for kids since they seem to love to do this anyway. Then, take all of the broken pieces and put in cupcake liners in a muffin tin. You can sort by color or put a rainbow of colors in for a fun new crayon. We chose to do one color per cup since we are working on naming colors right now. I also used the mini muffin tin because I didn't have enough of each color for the regular sized one.




Put in crayons in the oven at 250 degrees for 10-15 minutes. You will know they are done when all of the wax has melted. Let cool for about 30 minutes and then pop out of the liner. This is what ours looked like:

While searching online for tempurature to bake these at, I came across several articles saying they put red and green in one cup for holiday crayons. This could be an easy way to have something special at Christmas or another holiday or it could even be a fun stocking stuffer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a really great idea for all the crayon pieces laying around my house!

Thanks,

Brandy said...

This is such a great idea. I will have to try this. With a two year old and a four year old, all of our crayons end up in little pieces, this would be a great way to get more for the money, and I bet the kids would love to color with these big round crayons. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for entering my Rachel Ray cook book giveaway.

 
Design by Amanda @ BloggerBuster